June 18, 2006

Well then

Busy weekend.

Friday I hung out with friends. They are starting a new game of Spelljammer. I spent the evening knitting...

...I'm hoping that it will be a felted purse for my daughter. So we'll see...my first venture into felting. I also spent the few hours trying to convince the GM that I should be allowed to play a mind flayer. I would open up the conversation, "So...what's your feeling on Illithids?" Followed by all of my dear friends in unison saying "No!" to which my reply was "Well what about an eye tyrant?" I still find some amusement in play a completely difficult character. I don't know how well I'd do it though. I've noticed that many gamers who play table top and LARPs to a certain degree tend to play similar characters. At least I do...in all 5 games I've played in over the last 10 years. I'm still not convinced that gaming is my thing. I like watching, I like to listen...I even was the mast in a 7th sea game...which was me coming over with my then...well...guy I was dating and watching him and the rest of our friends play this game. So one day I was there and they were playing...I was knitting, and someone said "Run up the pirate flag" to which I held up my knitting needle and the piece of scarf I was knitting, and thus became the mast. At least I am amused. I think I get to be the ship's nav computer next time...since they are going to start a space adventure next. That game was the first game I ever saw, in my 10 years, come to a close.

On Saturday...I went to lovely Estes Park with Imbrium and her boyfriend who was gracious enough to drive to the Fiber Festival.

What I learned from going there...

1) Llamas are cute but creepy. They stare. I like their fur.

2) I should never ever shop with Imbrium. We are such a bad influence on each other..."No, no...now really where are you going to find something like that except for here?" Yes...I'm sure we'll be shopping together again.

3) Always, always...it's a small world...since I ran into my co-worker up there. Which didn't surprise me since she does love knitting.

4) I am an impulse buyer. I found this beautiful spindle I held it for awhile and then I put it back worried that I would miss something else and wanted to check out everything first. And of course it was gone by the time I got back. SIGH I emailed the designer today...perhaps I will get one yet...lesson learned? Listen to Imbrium next time...see #2. :)

So...we then went to dinner with Bakerina and Snow who invited us to their cabins with many other knit bloggers (and if I missed anyone please forgive me). It was wonderful meeting all of you. I hope to read your blogs in the future. :) Bakerina made a wonderful shepherds pie and strawberry and peach pies for dessert. Yum!

Whilst I was there I worked on my heel flap and turning my heel on my sock project. I also learned how to knit socks on circular needles. I'll have to try that one of these days. I'm a visual learner. I can remember...usually what people show me...

I bought the following at the fiber festival...

Spindle and roving...oh and the best part of that was I learned how to draft out the roving in a new way. Much faster, much thinner...beautiful!

Cashmere for a lace scarf...

Lace weight yarn, for something lacy (also Imbrium's doing because of her fantastic work on her lace work)...

And something for my daughter...it'll be something lacy.

And a little something for the kids. I think I should have gotten two. Girl child calls it her "pet"...its been strategically in her bedroom...I think to make sure her little brother doesn't notice it...

And last but not least...an ornament for the Christmas tree. I need to glue a ribbon to it. Once I get my glue gun...out of the storage unit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who, me? A bad influence? Never!
0:)

Mouse said...

I'm missing Colorado something fierce right now! Your haul looks great.. I love that roving. I bought a little 'snake' for my son from MSW as well.. he loves it.

Anonymous said...

lol! I recognize your sock!!! Thanks for pointing me to your blog.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been a quiet (and not so quiet) observer of many a tabletop game. Mostly though, I comment from the peanut gal...er...other room. However, occassionally I get to play the GM's bad guys where I throw and inordinate number of natural 20s. Muahahahhahaaaaa!!!
- Auntie M

Birdsong said...

Well, I still don't know your name but at least found your blog through Imbrium, I was a tiny bit overwhelmed trying to keep track of everyone, even though staying downstairs! Glad you got some cool stuff, but sorry to hear about the spindle. I had been admiring your colorful sock Sat. night.