May 02, 2008

Observations...and my first yarn tasting.

I haven't been checking my mailbox like a crazy yarn junkie. I've had the best restraint ever. However, that has caused me to wonder, where is my order (I need it for my contest)? Okay. It's only been 3 out of the 5-7 business days. This is the only reason I visit any LYS. I like to buy things online, I like their cheaper prices and I like free shipping but, damnit, I want it now.

Tonight is Yarn Tasting at A Knitted Peace. I've never been to one before. I typically don't knit with expensive yarns (unless it's a scarf) out of a weird sense of guilt. I paid how much for what? What if I screw it up?? It's as though I want to put it in it's own vaccum seal bag/box for posterity. I'll walk by it occasionally and think, "Wow. That sure would look pretty knitted into a sweater."

This was really a great event. Apparently, around 40 people had signed up for this. I can't say I met a lot of people. I saw a lot of people. My social skills are waning. If it weren't for my love of yarn I wouldn't have gone to this seeing that my social skills right now are on the bristly side.

They were busy. I would so go to this again. They had little appetizers, sushi rolls, crackers and cheese, and fruit. Wine and sodas.

I think I like this store because it's medium sized. They had about 5 sitting areas. Mostly around tables of some sort.

My little bag o' stuff had about 6 balls of purpled yarns (which was great, I like purple), a little sheet of patterns, a glass bowl, a sample of SOAK, a nail file, and a pad of paper. *grin* Now if I could only figure out what I ought to knit out of the yarn. I tried twice, but decided that my only pair of needles, size 7, weren't going to cut it. I forgot the rest of my needle set, but they had some "house" needles. I've pondered a scarf from this only because I don't really want a bunch of swatches wandering around my house.

I found some (clockwise from the left) Koigu, Kauni, Noro Silk Garden,and Berracco that just begged to go home with me. The Berracco everyone was raving about. The Noro...269. Happy, happy. Oh and they sell Happy Feet, I just couldn't find 2 skeins of the same colorway that I liked. I'll check back.

At the end of this year. They also have a ton of the Noro sock yarn, they did not have the Noro silk garden sock yarn. They said their rep would be coming by soon and that they would check with them. I want to try the silk twine. I still haven't tried my Noro, but I haven't heard great things so far.

Whilst I was at the yarn tasting, I noticed a sign for an Alpaca Fiber Festival and the National Western Stockshow complex...this weekend. Oh crap, roving galore...and me helping a friend tomorrow. Rats! Friendship. Perhaps Sunday then. Yes. Sunday. Roving.

I have a confession. One I've been avoiding for months now. It however is becoming harder to hide and one I can't deny.

I've become a yarn snob.

I know. Can you believe it? I still have 4 boxes of cheap acrylic yarn (verigated, solid, boucle, extra bits). I like cheap acrylic yarn...wait...before anything might be thrown at me for my tastes...it's easy to wash, I don't mind terribly if I totally screw it up, I have kids, it's worsted weight and makes fairly quick socks for people I dutifully think I have to knit for out of family kinship (and who think I ought to knit these things faster than I do.) My yarn snobbery is starting to show through more and more though.

It started with a box, just one, barely filled. A few skeins of Noro, a clearance wool from an LYS, a couple of balls of sock yarn. Then I went to the Estes Park Wool Festival with Imbrium and her beloved. It was like a small force of nature walking through the aisles of yarn. Laceweight, 2 of some sort (didn't keep the label, ah the innocence of not realizing how batshit insane that would make me now), 2 cashmere lace, and some roving later joined my lone box. My lone box however communicated to me, in a dream I'm sure, that the roving could not mingle with the yarn, you know, being roving. So the boxes became 2. One with roving and spindles, the other with luxious wool. No longer was it this itchy horrible nuisance to me anymore.

This brings us to the present. I got a great deal on some plastic bins at Target. The lone box became, the box of lace and worsted, commercially produced sock yarn, hand dyed sock yarns, and roving/spindles. They now rival my acrylic and I have this foreboding sense that it'll just grow larger. I'm hoping however that the higher quality yarns with just over take the boxes of acrylic. I'm not convinced of this. Especially since I'm expected at A Knitted Peace tonight and they have Kauni and Koigu. I sense that the Kauni and laceweight may demand their own box. Especially if there happens to be the black/gray or purple/black/gray colorways at the store.

Ah yes, my children will one day sit down and think, I wonder what mom left us...what?! Whadda ya mean 120 boxes of yarn? (6 in two years, divided by 2, equal 3, if I live to 70 and 3 boxes per year, would equal 120, which includes the 6 I currently have)

Lastly, I have a question, I hope somone can answer. Socks that Rock. I am the worst customer ever. I've emailed them about 4 times waffling, lightweight, mediumweight, mediumweight, lightweight. Oh hell, just stick with my mediumweight order. My friend once told me to quit reading about medical ailments online, this goes for yarn reviews as well. I don't know what kind of sock yarn I prefer. I've never knitted a pair of socks for myself. I've only knitted Fortissma, in the same colorway no less, 3 times. My daughter said she liked them but they were itchy. So, when STR colorways wandered into my view I had to have. I ordered 4 skeins of mediumweight. Am I going to hate this yarn?? I'm scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mediumwight Socks that Rock will be fine. Especially if (did I read this right?!?) you've been knitting socks out of worsted weight acrylic. Some socks yarns are thicker (Mountain Colors), some are thinner (Trekking) and they all work out just fine. Quit worrying. :)